Sunday, February 1, 2009

I am you

Lately, I have been getting a number of inquiries as to my plans for next year. People seem, well, surprised at my decision to homeschool. Inevitably, when I confirm, yes, I am planning on homeschooling my kids next year I get the first question, Why? or maybe, Where do they go to school? Eyebrows raised as if my kids must have to dodge drug dealers and fight their way into class everyday. I usually reassure them that I do like the school, but my kids are not getting the challenges that they need. This is met with a curious looks like, Hmmm... what problems do they have that even the school can't help them? It is here I usually add that the school has done a lot to improve their Gifted and Talented Program but I felt that my kids need a more individualized curriculum). Of course, often it is parents I know from the school (who know it is a pretty good public school ) that are curious as to why I would want to homeschool. It is then that the almost universal response arrives, sometimes with the caveat that they themselves once looked into it, but:

"I could never homeschool my kids. I don't have the______________ ". You can fill in the blank- patience, time, structure, discipline, energy, desire, sanity, money, space, etc. etc. etc. There is always a reason.

This often makes me snicker because the truth is, I don't have many of those things either. But then again, I have learned that none of those things are required to be able to actually do it. Now, before I get a bunch of argument, I concede that many of those traits would certainly make homeschooling infinitely easier. But none are required. Again, don't get me wrong, I understand that people really think they can't do it but perhaps the truth is one of two reasons. First, they don't want to homeschool. Now, there is nothing wrong with that and I really mean it. In fact, I hereby decree- No one ought to home school their children if they do not want to. Second, I think that most people do not feel the NEED to homeschool. Again, good decision for them. I hereby make a second Decree: No one ought to homeschool their children if they do not feel the need to do so. I do not think less of you, I cast no dispersions upon your choice NOT to homeschool, it really is such a huge commitment I would think it would be doomed to fail if you did it but were not completely committed.

I do, however, think that if push came to shove and it was determined that homeschooling was necessary for their kids or if they simply just wanted to homeschool, they COULD do it too, and they would find a way no matter their lack of ______________. Really, I am just like everyone else. I have just decided that this is what I must do and the more I learn about it, the more important it seems to be (for my kids). I don't have a ton of money. I don't happen to have a huge well of patience. Time is always gonna be in short supply with 4 kids no matter the education decisions. Our space is always going to be crowded. My sanity is often fleeting and my energy and desire can fluctuate dramatically. As for discipline and structure, I read somewhere that educating your children is simply an extension of parenting them. If you enjoy parenting and raising your children and have found it (relatively) easy and intuitive, as I feel I have, your homeschooling experience would be similar. If, on the other hand, you struggle with following through, consistency, consequences, and are overwhelmed with parenting, you may have a more difficult time (not impossible, just more difficult).

So, I am you. I never thought I would embark on this journey. I never thought I would embrace it as an answer to a unexpected situation. But I did, and Papaschnuck is excited as well, even the Schnuckies seem on board. So, as a family, we are going on this journey and it is really going to be exciting. I do not know how it will end but I do know that we are all going to learn in the process. Now, if only I could figure out how to get get more _____________,

No comments: