Thursday, February 19, 2009

First Purchases

Well I have purchased my first curriculum, used no less, from a web site that posts used stuff. I bought a history text, " A Child History of the World" by V. M Hillyer originally from Calvert School curriculum and now is available and has been periodically updated. I got the 1997 copyright for $20.00 (including shipping). It seemed like a good price to me and the seller was very nice to boot. It is designed to teach history through stories. It came the other day and I think it is going to be just what I expected. Papaschnuck is more partial to dates and facts and more traditional texts but he seemed to like it as well. I really think this will allow them get an interest in, and an excitement about, history. It also will allow me to read to all of them at the same time and then I can do some extension activities with the older ones.

I also have begun to purchase Singapore Math, the math program designed (from Singapore math lessons) to teach kids how to think about and understand math. From what I have heard (read in reviews) this is a good program for strong math students who like to perform and progress through material. Supposedly, it is weak in providing for repetition to ensure math facts are understood, it just teaches and moves on (What? you mean it expects kids to understand and know the concepts after they are taught????). I may supplement it with some review workbooks to ensure they are retaining the information . I have only found 2A and 2B but am planning to get the workbooks and texts from 1A-4B in order to have the range I may need. I am hoping they will all benefit from it in the future but I can see that maybe one or two of the schnuckies may prefer or do better with Saxon and I am willing to try that as well in future. Right now, I am really buying the math for my math guy.

I have also decided that I want to get a formal Phonics program for my almost 5yr old as I'd like to have some structure for her to be sure I do well in teaching her how to read. I think I am going to use First Reader. I may also get some other Kindergarten curriculum as it will be nice to have pre-set things to do with her. Likewise, my Schnuckie2 (almost 3) will need some good workbooks for numbers, letters, colors, shapes etc. They should be easy to get. I think it will help me, at least in the first year to be able to work on things in a more structured formal way and not just try to wing it for them.

Finally, my latest decision is that I am going to focus the first few months on simply setting expectations. I think I will try to make sure the academics are not too challenging so that we can look at schedule, routine, and process. I think it is important to be sure that we are all comfortable with what we are doing by scrutinizing how we are doing it and when we are doing it. Once our schedule is in place I think that we can then look at making the work more challenging and rigorous. I am sure I will discover along the way that (all) my pre-conceived plans are woefully inadequate and what is needed or practical is something completely different. Nevertheless, I am a planner and this is what I am doing.

Well if nothing else, my goal for homeschooling will hopefully be to get the kids excited about learning and teach them how to find and access the information they want or need. Then in a few years maybe I can sit back and watch them go. I feel pretty good that I am headed down the right road though I have along way to go, and luckily time to get there.

No comments: