Monday, June 1, 2009

Well, there goes Mother-of-the-Year…(again)

So,  my daughter was invited to a birthday party over the past weekend.  She received the invitation to a birthday party.  This little girl, lets call her Poppy, is a very very good friend of Schnuckie5, and before Poppy entered Kindergarten last fall, they spent a great deal of time together. While, she hasn't spent as much time with her this year, Poppy remains one of my daughters closest and longest friend.

At any rate, I told Schnuckie5 about the party (a gymnastics party) and she began to get excited.  As the days got closer and closer her excitement grew.  A special trip to the store was embarked on to pick the perfect gift. Which, I must say, was a terrific gift as it was temporary hair tattoo cream.  Poppy, being a blond has the perfect hair to streak.  And, as an added bonus, this was sure to drive Poppy’s mom a wee bit crazy (she happens to be my very good friend so I am allowed).  The gift was brought home and wrapped.  Not only was it wrapped, but the wrapping paper was drawn on and pictures were created extolling their friendship and the excitement of the event.  Small, child-like hieroglyphics designed to convey the importance of the upcoming festivities.

The next day, Saturday (the day before the party), much time was spent creating the perfect card.  More pictures were drawn, balloons and cake, little girls performing gymnastics feats on uneven bars and very carefully copied words wishing good cheer on a special day.  The card was carefully taped to the gift to prevent it from being lost.  The day passed, oh-so-slowly.  Schnuckie5 would occasionally cheer for Sunday to come and the party to finally be here.  She hurried to bed without a fuss in a vain attempt to get the party to come more quickly.

Sunday morning came swiftly and suddenly, as I awoke to the panicked wailing of the house alarm.  It was set off by none other than Schnuckie5 who awoke early and was trying to help by feeding the dogs (in the garage).  She was dressed in her leotard and ready to go to the party.  I explained (again) that the party was not going to be until 2:00 and she had all day to wait.  She cheerfully answered me that she knew and then patiently told me (in that little girl logic) that she just wanted to be ready.  The day crept by, minutes feeling like hours. Schnuckie5 would occasionally ask “How much longer till we can go?”  or “Mommy, is it time to go yet?”.  But she was very good.  Finally, at 1:35pm I informed her it was time.  She got her shoes on in a flash and had the present in hand.  I grabbed my packet (ever the prepared mom, I had printed out the e-mail with details of the party , with the address, as well as a Google map of my destination, carefully stapled into a packet) and my keys and we hopped in the van.  I figured we would be a few minutes early so looked at the map again to make sure I knew where was going and checked the e-mail one last time.  That's when I saw it……… clear as day……..a very important detail I had somehow garbled…… the.time. of.the.party.:

12:30 till 2:30pm

OH NO!  my heart dropped and I couldn’t believe it.  We actually had missed the party.  This event that was so important to my daughter, was almost over. I swallowed hard and then carefully explained to her that I had really messed up and gotten the time wrong, and the party was actually almost over, and that I was so sorry.  I babbled a bit and can’t remember all my sputtering, I felt so bad.  I called my friend, apologized to her,and got moving down the road.  After a few minutes of listening to me continue to apologize, Schnuckie5 quietly said, “ Its OK Mom, maybe we can still get there in time to give Poppy her present”.   

We got there in time to have a piece of cake and watch Poppy open her presents. Nothing she opened was as great a gift as I got that day, my daughter’s forgiveness.  Lord knows, it will be a while before I will forgive myself.

No comments: