Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Three Day Weekends Rock ! (especially after your first week of Homeschooling)

Well, we made it.  Actually, I think we did excellent.  We leapt into work as the kids seemed to settle into the schedule rather easily.  Schnuckie7 did 4 weeks of Math in his workbook in 4 days. (I guess that does not surprise me.  I started him on grade level and told him to “have at it” and let me know when he gets stuck then we can actually begin lessons).  Nate has been challenging but we are getting things done (OK, OK, you caught me, I admit it, I have used the TV as a babysitter, hey what are you going to do?, I needed him out of my hair, and in my defense he watched no more than an hour a day).  Overall, though it was much smoother than I expected, really only a minimum of moaning and groaning would accompany the assignments.  For the most part the kids are logging on the computer, getting their assignments and scheduling their day out.  The younger ones need a bit more direction with this than the eldest but for the most part they only need to work me into the lesson planning (for when I need to teach- I can’t do more than one at any given time. I must say I am really proud of them, and Schnuckie5 whom I had anticipated having the most issue with has taken to ‘school time’ with gusto and really seems to enjoy it.   Dare I say, last week was fun??? But exhausting.

By Friday, I was whipped.  I mean I really was worn out.  Luckily Papaschnuck had the foresight to arrange for a day out for me.  Of course it wasn’t at the day spa (which would have been fabulous!!).  But it was at a Women on Target Rifle Course at an area Gun Club.  My goodness what fun it was, though the noise did result in a headache.

first day of school and shooting 022 first day of school and shooting 030a first day of school and shooting 035

I learned all about gun safety, gun parts and had the opportunity to shoot a variety of different rifles, including a 1860’s Springfield Muzzleloader and a 50 caliber rifle.  Again, lots of fun and very enjoyable but the start of a busy 2 days of BBQ’s, friends, and fun.  Luckily on Labor day, I was able to relax, do some planning (take a 2 hour nap) and get myself ready for this week. And on we go…..

No comments: