Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What are you wearing?


I remember a few years ago I was in the mall on a quiet afternoon and I began to hear a clomping sound. CLOMP.........CLOMP.......CLOMP....... I turned around and saw a well put together woman striding along. Trailing 10 feet behind her, was a pretty, well dressed yet disheveled young girl, maybe 4 or 5 years old. Wearing one white tattered sneaker and one high heeled pink plastic Barbie shoe. CLOMP.... CLOMP..... CLOMP.... She strode along, determined to keep up with her mother and not at all concerned with her lopsided gait. I snuck a quick peek back at the mother who seemed oblivious to the fact that her daughter was so mismatched and unkempt. The mom seemed not to have a care in the world and her nonplussed attitude stuck me as somewhat odd given the fact that her daughter was such a spectacle. Of course, this was before I had children and had not yet realized that some battles are best left un-fought. I think of this woman often, and have grown over the years to admire her and realize that she possessed not a level of ignorance as I had initially thought, but rather a level of understanding that I have only recently begun to appreciate.

I have been on the receiving end of disapproving stares as my youngest Schnuckie has shown a fierce determination to wear only only those outfits by which he deems appropriate. There are many times I decide that the battle over clothes is simply not worth the time and if he chooses not to wear a coat in 12 degree temperature, so be it, he must carry his coat but if he want to be cold , OK. Of course, there are times I do have to draw the line no matter how fierce the opposition, like "No shorts in a snowstorm" but mostly I allow him this small indulgence, I figure he will figure it out and dress normal soon enough.



Now the older Schnuckie boys couldn't care less what they wear (as long as its not pink), in fact there are days I will mix up outfits at the end of the bed and inevitable my oldest will come downstairs dressed in his younger brother' clothes with sleeves ending at his elbows and pants hovering mid-calf, and he will be clueless as to what the problem is when questioned about his attire. When I will finally point out that he is wearing his brother's clothes he will them make the case that it is OK and he doesn't care (because he does not want to waste the time to change his clothes) but he will change when asked. Then along came the only girl. She has very strong opinions about her clothing but it is usually to lobby against dresses or a particular shirt, not for strange outfits. She can usually be soothed by showcasing two different outfits and allowing her to pick one. Lately she has become concerned with matching colors. Combing her hair is our bigger battle, but that's another story.


It was not until the youngest of the Schnuckies who, either by virtue of me spoiling him rotten or merely my exhaustion over the other more important things (like not having him climb up the outside of the stair railing), which has made him decide that he will only wear a few outfits without vehement protest. His favorite, any soccer outfit (his brothers old very large uniforms) cobbled together with soccer shorts (yes they MUST be shorts) from Goodwill. If he is particularly feisty, he will insist on cleats as well (instead of sneakers.) which are a few sizes to big, and occasionally the odd piece of sporting equipment for good measure (a ball or helmet, or even shin guards over ridiculously long large socks). Other variations on that theme include a lacrosse uniforms a swim shirt (I have convinced him it is a soccer shirt) or an ugly blue football mesh shirt he found at Goodwill. More traditional acceptable clothing includes turtlenecks (I have no explanations for that), any shirt with sports equipment on it and 'big boy ' pants (jeans). Hats of all kinds are coveted and worn, he had a day recently, following his sisters' preschool field trip to Giant Supermarket, where he wore the paper deli hat everywhere. Non-traditional choices of clothing include his sister's dress-up princess wear, and another favorite, either brother's cub scout uniform (belt and all). Doesn't matter if he is a Tiger, a Bear, or a Wolf, as long as it is proper dress wear and all parts and pieces are in place. I image with the oldest entering Weeblos we will see a new push for khaki this year.


So I handle it all in the best way I can, mostly by not handling it much at all. It is a wise mother who can look at her child and accept the outer package in whatever state it may be in. It is an even wiser (and might I say braver) who can also allow said child out in public in that same condition. So I now proudly march in front of him, purposefully ignoring whatever creation he may have on and allowing others to look and judge. And while I do give a wide latitude to what is acceptable I do insist on one thing, you have to wear something........ (well usually).















No comments: